The role of Independent Supporters 

Independent Supporters can work with you and your child to ensure that your voices are heard.  They offer a free, friendly, flexible service for families and young people. 

They offer support when:

  • You have applied for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for your child
  • Your child has a Statement that is transferring to an EHCP

They aim to do this by: 

  • Supporting you to understand the legal framework underpinning the changes in SEN
  • Helping you think through and identify what the changes mean for you
  • Attending/supporting you at meetings with the Local Authority/school

If you require specific support with an EHC plan, you can find an Independent Supporter through the local organisations who provide this service.

They are:

Independent Support Partnership

KIDS Richmond and Kingston SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) 

Express CIC (specialising in independent support for autisim related conditions)

Information, Advice and Support Services

In addition to their Independent Support role,  the Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) offers advice and support across a wide range of subjects. This may include help with personal budgets and how to use the Local Offer plus:

  • support with understanding reports and letters, attending meetings and preparing for assessments and reviews
  • information and signposting to support services in your area 
  • support with Transition and Preparing for Adulthood
  • support with and signposting to mediation  
  • advice and support on benefits

These services offer advice to children and young people as well as parents and carers. Watch this video and visit The Information, Advice and Support Services Network website to find out more about how they support children and young people.