This eight week programme is approved by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and covers RYA Level 1. It provides structured dinghy sailing from novice to advanced level. Costs are £56 per hour per group (multiples of six) for a minimum of two hours.
- skills taught – rigging, wind awareness, launching and recovery, leaving the shore, coming ashore, reaching, tacking drills
- theory – no go zones, clothing, equipment
- skills taught – re-cap on rigging drill, reaching, stopping sailing upwind, getting out of irons
- theory – ropework (knots) points of sailing, capsize recovery
- skills taught – re-cap upwind sailing, sailing downwind, gybing drill, gybing practice
- theory – basic dinghy rules, rules of the road, meteorology
- skills taught – re-cap of all skills learned
- theory – question and answer
- All skills practised and performed. By this stage if the wind has been sufficient and candidates are performing to a competent standard the RYA Level 1 is complete.
- skills taught – rigging a training dinghy or day boat, the five essentials
- theory – points of sailing, no go zone, the five essentials
- skills taught – man overboard recovery, five essentials
- theory – capsize recovery, aerodynamic theory
- skills taught – coming alongside, reefing, capsize recovery
- theory – racing, lee shore dangers, ropework.